The state of play: Corporate sustainability
As climate change creates a growing risk to companies’ financial stability, sustainability programs offer a competitive advantage for businesses across size and sector. Those who are ahead of the curve are making bold commitments, deepening expertise, collaborating effectively, and greening their workforces. The most resolute business leaders will continue to push forward their strategies against political backlash. For them, it is a moment of opportunity not hesitancy.
In this report, we help leaders get up to speed and check their progress against the latest macro trends, policy and regulatory developments (U.S. and E.U.), and pace-setting organizations.
- Corporate climate commitments and leadership accountability are on the rise. But the rate of progress remains well behind what’s needed to achieve 2050 goals.
- Political and legislative activity are creating cross-pressures on sustainability work. But stakeholder activism remains a strong tailwind.
- New innovations and collaborations reflect a growing supply chain playbook. Companies know that Scope 3 impact cannot be ignored.
- Jobs–both existing and new–are becoming greener. Employers and workers are both driving the transition.
- Water and biodiversity are making big moves toward the center of corporate interest. Pending emissions disclosure rules remain top of mind.